When will you stop drinking? A simple question that is usually answered by, “I’ll stop drinking when…..” followed by a vague time in the future, like after Christmas, when my kids break up/ go back to school/ I’ve left this awful job/ I get a new job/ in the summer/in the winter. Or a point in time when everything is just right, you have it all figured out, and then you’ll feel ready to quit drinking.
“When you quit drinking, you stop waiting” Caroline Knapp – ‘Drinking, A Love Story’
The trouble with waiting until everything is just right and all your ducks are in a row is that they might never be.
And all the while you are waiting for that to happen, you are waiting to start living. You are waiting to feel peace, freedom, and joy.
You are delaying luxurious sober mornings, exhilarating hangover free adventures or quiet moments of contentment with your thoughts or curled up with a cup of tea and good book.
You’re missing out proper rest, great sleep, feeling good in your own skin and on precious time with your family and loved ones.
So, what are you waiting for and is it worth it? What would happen if you stopped waiting? What would happen if you faced your fear and did it anyway?
In this episode
- Some common things we tell ourselves that we have to have all figured out first. Why we don’t and what to do instead.
- Why it is much easier to ‘sort out your life’ when the alcohol is no longer holding you back.
- My mantra and how it helped me navigate all the things I thought I had to do first.
- The magic that unfolds when you let go of all the things you think you ‘should’ do and let your intuition guide you.
- Why thinking about quitting drinking can cause you to keep putting off the decision, you might literally be talking yourself out of it!
- Some powerful questions to ask yourself that will gently push you from waiting to doing.